Guide to the Building Regulations (3rd edition) (PDF)
All new buildings, extensions and refurbishment work must comply with Building Regulations in order to protect the health and safety of building occupants. In recent years the regulations have become increasingly complex, making the process of demonstrating compliance more arduous.
This well-established guide provides the construction industry with concise, clear guidance on the essentials of the Building Regulations, setting out the key compliance requirements to help designers and other construction professionals produce safe, attractive buildings.
- The third edition has been fully revised and updated to incorporate the 2015 amendments to the Building Regulations, including: The introduction of optional requirements in Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations, which will apply only if they are made a condition of planning consent.
- An optional higher standard of water efficiency for Requirement G2 (Water efficiency), which may be required as a planning condition.
- A new fittings approach to water efficiency as an alternative to the Water Efficiency Calculator.
- Amendment to guidance on solid waste storage in Part H (Drainage and waste disposal), which now requires consideration of local amenity when designing bin storage.
- Division of Approved Document M into two volumes, addressing dwellings and non-dwellings respectively.
- Expansion of Requirement M4 (Access to and use of dwellings) to include three different accessibility categories for dwellings. Categories 2 and 3 are optional standards, which may be required as a planning condition.
- The introduction of brand new Part Q (Security) with new provisions for domestic doors and windows in order to prevent unauthorised access.
- Updating of references to standards and other documents.
Fully updated and written to save time for hard-pressed users, the 3rd edition of Guide to the Building Regulations is the essential companion for architects, construction professionals and building control officers alike.